Environmental management successes
Lufthansa Technik's environmental management has already notched up a number of successes. Pertinent facts and figures:
- Through global collaboration, the exchange of best-practice examples and common reporting of all environmental data in the Lufthansa Technik Group have been implemented.
- Lufthansa Technik aims to set in place standard environmental management throughout the Group: it is making every effort to ensure that all companies in the Lufthansa Technik Group are certified to environmental management standard ISO 14001.
- Lufthansa Technik has already developed a number of environmentally friendly innovations that are used above all in connection with aircraft maintenance and overhauls.
- In the area of eMobility a variety of vehicle types, from aircraft towing tractors to catering lift platforms, is being tried out. A number of electrically powered caddies, towing tractors, lift trucks and fork-lift trucks are currently being tried out in the fleet. Electric cars are also being trialed.
- In recent years a number of building refurbishments have been carried out and new buildings constructed at the Lufthansa Technik sites to standards that reflect the state-of-the-art.
- The cogeneration plant provides the Hamburg base with two megawatts each of electrical and thermal energy, and heat generator 2 even produces a heat output of 58.8 megawatts.
- In the central industrial waste water treatment facility around 13,500 cubic meters of water are cleaned every year for recycling as service water.
- Around 9,300 cubic meters of water a year are processed by the rainwater utilization facilities for return to the service water circuit.
- Since the noise abatement hangar was opened noise pollution caused by engine run-ups has ceased to be a problem.
- Thanks to waste management, approximately 65 percent of the waste produced at Lufthansa Technik is recycled every year.